Does your business’ bottom line (profit) freak you out? Do you find that you want to grow and scale your business but are so consumed with making it a success that you can’t focus on today’s priorities? Are you always wondering what it’s going to take to truly make your business a success? If you are worried about what the future may bring, then you can’t possibly focus on the here and now. You want to have a positive mindset and really take it one day at a time—and if you can adapt to this philosophy then you are going to go much further.
Everyone has fears when they start a new business, but starting small will help you to get to the end goal much more effectively. To scale your business it is all about starting small and growing within the bounds of your goals, vision, time and energy. If you aren’t sure of how to start out small, then here are some things to consider. These can help you to stay on point and ensure that overall you find great success early on. Then you can start to scale your business, build onto that after you cross the first bridge. One day at a time and one effort at a time!
5 Tips for Starting Out Small and Then Growing
- Work with the budget that you’ve got for now: It doesn’t need to be a ton of money and you do not need to have an elaborate budget at the core. All you need is a small initial investment to buy some start up materials and get things rolling. Don’t worry too much about six months or a year from now, but rather just focus on what you can buy with the money that you have for now. This simple approach will help you to make the most of what you have and get things going.
- Build a simple website to get start out: You need to get your name out there, but you don’t have the money or time to make this a huge effort. Creating a website can help you to get your business to be visible using a well received platform. No matter what your business is, having a simple online presence matters greatly. There are great platforms to create a website for free or at very low cost. Start blogging and get your website out there and see how this helps you to build visibility and credibility.
- Try cross promoting to get your name out there and save money: Partner up with other local entrepreneurs (for some ideas on this read Achieve 4 Great Benefits with the Right Approach to Business Networking) to help each other with cross promotion. Help spread the word about their business and allow them to do the same for you. This doesn’t cost anything and it benefits both of you. You will find some great opportunities to share the spotlight and help each other get up and running, and it won’t cost you a thing which is huge.
- Have short term goals that all build into a long term goal: You may have an idea of where you want to be, but it doesn’t mean that you are going to be there in the beginning. It’s fine to have a long term goal, but the short term ones pave the way towards that. Let these goals be achievable but be sure that you are constantly measuring your progress. Know what you have to get done to reach your longer term goal and it will serve as a sort of checklist which is ideal to keep you on track.
- Consider what it will take to capture your first sale: Rather than looking at the big picture, consider how you can get that first sale. Who is your ideal customer and what it will take to get into the mindset of your customer. Consider how you can make that first amount of money or get the services rolling.
Rather than worrying about the bottom line or increased revenue, start with the all important first sale and then you can scale your business from there. If you focus only on that first transaction then you are more likely to be successful. You are also likely to build momentum naturally rather than stress about the future; this can be overwhelming. It keeps you focused and ensures that you have a positive interaction with the customer early on (this first customer will also make a great first testimonial).
You can always build momentum and make progress. You need to have a starting point and then you will build from there. Know that there is no right or wrong, but that taking it one step at a time you will be much more successful. Stay positive and know that in no time at all, you will find long term success.